Our surplus of graham crackers and Hershey Bars has run out. All we have left are marshmallows. So I came up with the great idea for making cookie S'mores.
The Graham Cracker Recipe:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the margarine, brown sugar and honey until light and fluffy. Stir in the dry ingredients alternating with the milk and vanilla.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On parchment paper roll the dough out. Divide into rectangles using a knife or use a cookie cutter. Mark a line down the center of each one by pricking it with a fork (or go crazy and prick it all over like me). For a cinnamon flavored cracker, sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking.
- Transfer the parchment onto a baking tray. Do not individually transfer each cookie, the dough is too fragile (unless you refrigerate the dough). Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven till edges are brown. If you under bake them, they turn out soft, not yummy and crunchy. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.
The original recipe said to refrigerate the dough overnight, but I didn't refrigerate it at all and it was fine. The wheat really gives it that graham cracker taste, but you could use less. In some of the recipe reviews, they substituted wheat germ for wheat flour and said they tasted great. These aren't exactly like the store brand but are still really good. They are great as a snack and in milk. When eating them as a snack, I think I like homemade ones better, but nothing beats store bought crackers when it comes to milk.
|The cookies don't spread much when they are baked, so leave them on the parchment you cut them on.|
|I pricked mine randomly, but 3 pricks down the center looks good.|
|Here's the awesome tool I rolled out my dough with by The Pampered Chef|
Now for the chocolate cookie. These would be much better with chocolate chips to make it more s'more-y.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Drops
3 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
Preheat oven to 350. Microwave unsweetened chocolate and butter in bowl on high for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir chocolate till it is melted. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir in the sugar, then eggs and vanilla. Add the flour and mix well. Shape dough into one inch balls 2 inches apart, on parchment paper, or a greased baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes toll the inside is no longer like dough. Cool on cooling racks.
Now its time for the yummy part. Roast a marshmallow and sandwich it between a cracker and cookie. Or you can microwave a marshmallow on a cracker (like I did), but it makes the cracker soft.